- Montessori as a charter school alternative, New York Times letter to the editor
- Duke and Duchess of Cambridge select Montessori nursery, Guardian, UK
- Don’t stop classroom chatter; it’s good for learning, The Times of London
- Don’t just stand here, think! Boston Globe
- Montessori Schools Foster Social and Academic Skills, AAAS News
- Test-free system ‘gives children a better start in life’? — The Times, London
- Study Shows Improved Test Scores for Students in Montessori Schools, Fox News
- Research shows benefits of Montessori education, Education Guardian, UK
- Black, Beth. “The First Time.” From Montessori Life, Spring 2011.
- Carey, Kathy. “Montessori Parent: The Age of Anxiety.” From Montessori Life, Spring 2015.
- Herman, Jana Morgan. “Montessori Parent: Proactive Planning: One Parent’s Approach.” From Montessori Life, Winter 2013 – 14.
- Korngold, K.T. “Montessori Parent: Creating Emotional Safety around Tantrums and Crying.” From Montessori Life, Summer 2014.
- Shortridge, P. Donohue. “The Montessori Family’s Role.”*
- Shortridge, P. Donohue. “Discipline as Guidance.”*
- Shortridge, P. Donohue. “Spring Cleaning as Brain Food.”*
- McAfee, Andrew, Montessori Builds Innovators (https://hbr.org/2011/07/montessori-builds-innovators/)
- Staci Jensen Bringing Montessori Home
- Shortridge, P. Donohue. “Manners, Naturally“
* P. Donohue Shortridge, Montessori consultant and family coach, generously shared these articles with us. For more of her articles for Montessori parents, visit Donohue’s website.
The American Montessori Society publishes the results of significant Montessori research, and the AMS Research Committee monitors Montessori studies published in other scholarly journals. Recommended articles (or information about how to obtain them) are available through the links below.
- Biswas-Diener, R. (2011). “ Manipulating Happiness: Maria Montessori.” International Journal of Wellbeing, 1(2), pp. 214 – 225.
- Byun, W., Blair, S.N. and Pate, R.R. (2013). “Objectively Measured Sedentary Behavior in Preschool Children: Comparison between Montessori and Traditional Preschools.” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 10:2
- Ely, M, and Matias, B (2006). “Montessori Moments: Voices from the Field.” Research supported by the American Montessori Society and the West Side Montessori School.
- Koh, J.H.L. and Frick, T. W. (2010). “Implementing Autonomy Support: Insights from a Montessori Classroom.” International Journal of Education, Vol. 2, No. 2.
- Laski, E.V., Jor’dan, J.R., Daoust, C., and Murray, A.K. (2015). “What Makes Mathematics Manipulatives Effective? Lessons From Cognitive Science and Montessori Education.” SAGE Open. doi: 0.1177/2158244015589588
- Lillard, A. S. (2012). Preschool Children’s Development in Classic Montessori, Supplemented Montessori, and Conventional Programs. Journal of School Psychology, 50, 379-401. Available on Dr. Lillard’s Web site.
- Lillard, A. and Else-Quest, N. (2006). “The Early Years: Evaluating Montessori Education.” Science, Vol. 313, No. 5795, pp. 1893 – 1894. Available on Dr. Lillard’s Web site.
- Murray, A. K. (2015). “Expanding Access to Montessori Education: An Opportunity for Disadvantaged Students.” Published in the CUNY IdeaLabs collection as a non-peer-reviewed guest blog.
- Murray, A. K. (2011). “Montessori Elementary Philosophy Reflects Current Motivation Theories.” Montessori Life, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 22 – 33.
- Murray, A. and Peyton, V. (2012). “Public Knowledge of Montessori Education.” Montessori Life, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 18 – 21.
- Murray, A. K., Bagby, J. H., and Sulak, T. (2010). “Research 101: Understanding Educational Research.” Montessori Life, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 34 – 37.
- Thayer-Bacon, Barbara J. (2012). “Maria Montessori, John Dewey, and William H. Kilpatrick,” Education and Culture: Vol. 28: Iss. 1, Article 3.
- Whitescarver, K. and Cossentino, J. (2008). “Montessori and the Mainstream: A Century of Reform on the Margins.” Teachers College Record, Vol. 110, No. 12, pp. 2571 – 2600.
- Bagby, J. H., Wells, K., Edmondson, K., and Thompson, L. (2014). “Montessori Education and Practice: A Review of the Literature, 2010 – 2013.” Montessori Life, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 32 – 41.
- The Absorbent Mind by Maria Montessori
- The Six Stages Of Parenthood by Ellen Galinsky
- Ask the Children: The Breakthrough Study That Reveals How to Succeed at Work and Parenting by Ellen Galinsky
- Positive Discipline by Jane Nelsen Ed.D.
- Montessori: Why It Matters For Your Child’s Success And Happiness by Charlotte Cushman
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock & Lee Havis
- Montessori Parenting: Unveiling the Authentic Self by Dr. Jim McFarland